We are #deliveryheroes
Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island
Job Announcement – Development Director
Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt, full time
The mission of Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island is to meet the nutritional and other special needs of the elderly to help them maintain their independence. Since 1969, from Westerly to Woonsocket our staff and volunteers serve 1,200 meals each day. While the Home-Delivered Meal Program is the most recognized service, Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island also has a Capital City Café Program, a Restaurant Voucher Program, Pet Food Program and a Senior Wish Program for those in need.
The Development Director oversees all of the fundraising efforts of Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island. This includes designing and executing a comprehensive annual development strategy; managing current and fostering new relationships to build the organization’s financial resources through the solicitation of individual & major gifts, special events, corporate, foundation/grant support and planned giving.
This is a full time, salaried position; evenings and weekends as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and analyze funding trends to develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to allow for service expansion
- Implement an annual fundraising plan that includes individuals, major gifts, corporations, special events, corporate, foundation/grant support and planned giving
- Individual – Organize, manage and execute donor campaigns to attract and retain individual donors. Cultivate donors by producing specialized correspondence, preparing letters of acknowledgment, scheduling and attending in-person visits.
- Major Gifts – Develop and manage and major gift giving. Produce major donor, board and special category solicitations and support materials with the intent to retain or upgrade gifts. Engage in donor stewardship.
- Special Events – Develop and grow events, including planning and execution of all facets. Increase revenue of existing events.
- Corporate donors – Establish short and long-range goals for unrestricted funding sources from corporate partners. Identify partners for corporate volunteerism opportunities.
- Foundations/grants – Work with the grant writer to identify new grant opportunities. Oversee grant application process and reporting deadlines, to ensure that all proposals and reports are submitted in an accurately and timely manner.
- Planned Giving – Develop and implement planned giving activities.
- Work to increase the organizations contacts in all areas
- Ability to monitor and meet fundraising metrics.
- Support the Executive Director, board members, staff and volunteers in solicitation, recognition, and stewardship of donors
- Supervise and coordinate activities required in maintaining database and paper records of contributors. Maintain confidentiality, security and quality controls. Generate queries, reports, exports and any other collection data on a regular basis.
- Support the creation of various communications such as website content, newsletter, social media, appeals and other donor communications
- Work with Finance Department to maintain accurate accounting of all unrestricted income and its sources. Fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy.
- Prepare and monitor the development and marketing budgets
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and special events
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Proven experience in securing financial support from diverse donor channels, required
- Demonstrated results in prospecting, cultivating and expanding donor relationships,
- A familiarity with and understanding of the Rhode Island philanthropic community
- Event planning experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials
- 5 years of experience in a nonprofit setting
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to the mission of Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island
- Possesses high energy, positive attitude, dedication
- Embraces teamwork and flexibility
- Shows attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to multi task
- Offers a high degree of initiative
- Computer proficiency (MS Excel, Word, and database programs)
- Sound professional judgment, an exemplary moral compass, exceptional personal integrity, and high ethical standards that engender trust, and proven leadership capabilities.
- A proven ability to identify, navigate, and successfully interact within the dynamics of a fast paced environment
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health, dental, vacation, sick, and personal time, holidays, retirement, and professional development opportunities.
Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, professional references and response to the question, Why are you #Together4Seniors? To email@example.com by January 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM.